Thursday 25 August 2011

Steve Jobs quits as Apple CEO


Steve Jobs has resigned as chief executive of Apple and will be replaced by chief operating officer Tim Cook.
Mr Jobs, who underwent a liver transplant following pancreatic cancer, said he can not meet his chief executive's duties and expectations.
The Silicon Valley legend will become new chairman of the firm.
The 56-year-old has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since 17 January.
Mr Jobs wrote: "I have always said if there ever came a day when I could not meet my duties and expectations as Apple's chief executive, I would be the first to let you know.
That day has come. I hereby resign as chief executive of Apple.
"I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.
"I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you."
Apple board member Art Levinson paid tribute to Mr Jobs' contribution to the company: "Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company."

No comments:

Post a Comment